Having a strong mentoring relationship can make a powerful difference in the success of a young woman in high school or college. Because of this, the Utah Women’s College Task Force recommended that women-focused mentoring program resources be developed to help provide support for influencers (e.g., parents, nonprofit organizations, schools, colleges) to implement programs around the state. The mentoring programs we have identified are included in the Program & Support Search (use the Mentoring Programs search option). The role of the Utah Women and Education Initiative is to provide resources that will assist campuses, schools, nonprofits, and community groups establish and maintain quality mentoring programs for girls and women. Both formal and informal mentoring opportunities will be highlighted.
Training for Mentors
- Talking it Through: Communication Skills for Mentors (online training)
- TCAM Online Training Series for Mentors (six online training modules for mentors)
- Building Relationships: A Guide for New Mentors (48-page booklet)
- Training New Mentors (78-page booklet)
- Preparing Participants for Mentoring (72-page booklet)
- Ongoing Training for Mentors (120-page booklet)
Training for Mentees
- For Mentees: Preparing for a Mentoring Relationship (video, worksheets, handouts, and other activities)
- Training New Mentees (82-page booklet)
- Enriching the Mentoring Experience Through Ongoing Mentee Training (10-page booklet)
- How to be a Good Mentee (2-page tip sheet)
Creating Effective Mentoring Programs
The best resource we have found is the following detailed handbook: How to Build a Successful Mentoring Program: A Step-By-Step Tool Kit for Program Managers through the National Mentoring Partnership (NMP). Additional tools include:
Utah Partnerships & Programs
UWEI has partnered with established organizations and programs to promote and support quality mentoring programs (that have a college preparation or retention component) for girls and women in Utah. Click on the organization below for additional information about getting involved.
Other Recommended Programs
National Programs with Utah Mentoring Matching
- StudentMentor.org: This national mentoring program is based on a technology platform to help college students conveniently find and collaborate with mentors from diverse industries and professions. Professionals and retirees serve as mentors to college students and help mentees enhance their leadership, communication, and coaching skills. Mentoring can be online, phone, or in person.
- National Mentoring Partnership—Volunteer Referral Service: This free service allows prospective volunteers to search for mentoring opportunities within a radius of their postal Zip code. Registered mentoring programs will receive information about prospective volunteers who have expressed interest in your program.