Utah Women & STEM Education Network
UW&STEMEd is a statewide network of education professionals interested in recruiting and retaining women in STEM programs. The network acts as a clearinghouse of resources and best practices for the state’s educational institutions to share innovative, diverse, and effective programs for recruitment and retention. Through this coordination, institutions can improve assessment of programs, as well as leverage and use resources more effectively.
The UW&STEMEd Network was formed by a partnership between the Utah Women and Education Initiative (Susan R. Madsen) and the Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development (Tami Goetz), with Kathy VanWagoner (Weber State University) coordinating the work. The Utah State Office of Education (Diana Suddreth) then joined as a key partner. Campus leaders were invited to a statewide forum held at the Utah Governor’s Mansion on April 13, 2012. Representatives from each institution presented information about women and STEM education efforts at their institutions. Roundtable discussions identified promising practices and ideas for social change. A strategy for future work was developed. By recommendation of the forum attendees, a steering committee convened on May 23, 2012 to further define the organization and make plans for future activities. This work is now in progress.
- A collection of events, program information, and other web-based resources is available on Pinterest.
- A searchable database of all STEM assets in Utah is available at the UWEI Programs & Support Search (choose the STEM search option).
Network Steering Committee
- CO-CHAIR: Tami Goetz (Utah State Science Advisor)
- CO-CHAIR: Kathryn Van Wagoner (Weber State University)
- Brigham Young University: Heidi Vollmer-Snarr (Faculty, Chemistry & Biochemistry)
- Dixie State College: Pamela Cantrell (Director, Dixie STEM Education Center)
- Salt Lake Community College: Kathy Hurd (University Center Director)
- Snow College: Beckie Hermansen (Director, Institutional Planning and Research)
- Southern Utah University: Shalini Kesar (Assistant Professor, CSIS)
- University of Utah: Nalini Nadkarni (Director, Center for Science & Mathematics Ed)
- Utah State University: Michelle Larson (Vice Provost)
- Utah Valley University: Susan Thackeray (Director, Career and Technical Education)
- Weber State University: Rainie Ingram (Recruiter, College of Applied Science & Tech)
- Westminster College: Helen Hu (Associate Professor, Computer Science)
- UCAT: Deborah Labenski (Custom Fit Coordinator, Tooele ATC) & TJ Carter (Director of Practical Nursing, MATC)
- USOE: Diana Suddreth (STEM Coordinator); Sarah Young (Science Specialist)
- USHE: Blair Carruth (Assistant Commissioner for Academic Affairs)
- Utah EPSCoR: Rita Teutonico (Director of Research Development, USU)
- UWEI: Mary Ann Holladay (Director)